Saturday, October 9, 2010

Caramel Popcorn Balls


Most the day on Friday I spent busily putting away my overly large collection of kitchen glassware and gadgets into this china hutch I recently received. It used to belong to my sister but she is moving out-of-state so I bought it from her. It needs some new hardware, but that will be an easy fix. I really needed the extra storage. My kitchen storage was bursting at the seams, all due to my addiction for all things cool looking and cooking related.

I'm excited by just how much counter top I freed up by storing my occasional use appliances in the bottom of the hutch. I can't wait to make a Lattice-top Apple pie in my kitchen now. Or maybe some Italian Pastry cookies. Oh, the ideas I have for my kitchen this upcoming holiday season. I even grabbed my rolling-pin and mimed rolling out some dough.

With all the ideas of baking possibilities swirling through my mind it really got me into the spirit of fall so, I made some Popcorn balls for a special treat. They were surprisingly easy to make. More importantly the kids loved them.

Caramel Popcorn Balls


Yields about 6 popcorn balls

Ingredients
2 quarts popped popcorn or 1/3 cup popcorn kernels

1 cup packed brown sugar

1/3 cup water

1/3 cup dark corn syrup

1/4 cup butter (no substitutes)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
  1. Pop the 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels using your preferred method. Put the popcorn in a large bowl and set aside.
  2. In a heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, water, corn syrup, butter and salt. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
  3. Continue cooking, without stirring , until a candy thermometer reads 270 degrees F (soft-crack stage).
  4. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Pour over popcorn; stir until the popcorn is evenly coated. When cool enough to handle, quickly shape into balls.
  5. Let cool at room temperature.

Variation

This recipe also makes a great popcorn munch. To make this recipe as a popcorn munch reduce the amount of popped popcorn you use and add 1 cup of your favorite nuts. To cool, spread on waxed paper at room temperature. You can also drizzle with melted chocolate.

No comments:

Vote For Me

topmommyblogs.org