Friday, September 11, 2015

Where was I on 9/11?

My parents have the moment crystallized in their minds of knowing where they were when JFK was shot.  Everyone of my generation remembers where they were at the moment of the WTC attack.
I was living in Tennessee far from my family in Las Vegas just like any normal day at the time, at home with my oldest two playing around and watching a movie.  My husband called and told me to turn on the news.   It was just after the first plane had hit.  I was watching the live feed as the second plane hit the towers.

I remember watching the towers fall and crying out for all those people. Praying for those people in the area.  I was frozen in horror.  All I could think about was all those families who were going to be directly effected by this tragedy.  How would our nation recover from this? I was frozen attached to that screen for what felt like hours but in reality was much shorter.  What snapped me out of my fog of horror was seeing my kids looking at the screen in fear.  I hurriedly turned the TV off and got down with them to say a prayer for all those people.  

I spent far too many hours watching the news about that day over and over for the next weeks and months.  After seeing the looks of fear on their young faces on that first day I vowed not to turn on the news while they were awake.  At only 1 and 2 years old they didn't really understand what they were seeing but they understood my reaction of horrified terror.  I spent a lot of time praying.

On the anniversary of this terror attack every year I pray this is something our world in the future will not experience again.  I pray my children and grand children will have a world where such extremist acts will not be glorified.  I pray for all those affected by that day.

No comments:

Vote For Me

topmommyblogs.org