Tuesday, September 21, 2010

School Daze



Double Portico at Scroggs Elementary


Toward the end of the long summer I find myself longing for the start of school and the stricter schedule that comes with it. Even though it's hard getting back into the regular school schedule I find it comforting at the same time. Before summer has passed the midway point I find myself wistfully yearning for the homework battles, parent teacher conferences, early morning clubs, and even the last-minute school projects that come with the school year.

To help the school year run as smoothly as possible I have come up with a few laws of mom-land. Ok , so they are more strong guidelines, but it works for my household. Maybe they could help with yours as well.

Every night before bed we check our schedule for the next days specials class. (Specials classes are the Art, Music, Library and two days of P.E. that rotate throughout the week) We then choose an outfit according to the next day's schedule. This helps to get my older children off to school on time with as few conflicts as humanly possible. (they are two girls sharing one bathroom, some conflict is unavoidable.) I have made selecting clothing for the day even easier with a few minor changes in laundry habits. When doing laundry I have recruited my older daughters to pair up their own school outfits and hang them together on one hanger, so that they have a full outfit at their fingertips. This saves time at night when we are in the midst of a bedtime battle with my 4-year-old and gets them to bed at a decent time. Having them pair the outfits gives them some feeling of control over their own day-to-day wardrobe.

Once they get home from school I have them immediately wash their hands. School is the gathering place of outbreak monkeys children. Becoming the unsuspecting petri dish for whatever germ they are harboring on their hands from their day is not high on my wish list. This habit is what I credit for our children not getting sick for an entire school year and they both ended up receiving the Governor's Award in Excellence for Perfect Attendance. To receive the award you need to miss 3 or less days of school the entire year. That includes the fact that three tardy days are equal to one absence.

After a full body sanitizing in the clean room they have a quick snack. I wish I had a sanitizing room. Kid's carry the nastiest germs and share them freely. They usually get a popsicle or other frozen treat, because we live in a desert that has two seasons; hot and dry for 9 months or windy and cool for the other 3 months. I don't consider the 2-3 days of rainy weather a season or the once every five years freak snow storm one either.

We will then go over that days homework directions. Now that they are older they don't need this as often since they know my expectations. When they complete their work I go over it correcting it. Not giving the answers but circling wrong problems on math worksheets or giving a proofread on english work. They then take their homework back and correct the mistakes. Since doing this their grades have improved and their understanding of the work has increased. During homework time no TV is on in the entire house. It is time for the younger children to play quietly or read a book.

One thing that drives my kids crazy is that I do not accept messy written work. Neatness matters foremost. It wont matter if you spelled everything correctly if the teacher cannot read the paper to begin with. I started this at a young school age. Lauryn is the only one to still try to get away with scribbling her work in a way that looks like she attempted writing with her toes. It just takes one day of me making her rewrite her work as many as 3 or 4 times for her to improve her neatness.. Every once in a while she needs a reminder, but not as often anymore.  I wish my parents had cared enough about my school work to do any of this.

When I review their math worksheets I circle math problems they got wrong. If the continue to have trouble with their work I will not just supply them with the answer. Instead I go through the directions with them once again and work through a problem with them to show where they may have made a mistake. I let them do the work, showing me how they did the problem, so that I can explain where they made the mistake. After 2 years of doing this, more often than not they just need me to circle the problem they got wrong.

Once we finish with homework it is time to relax. They spend their time playing with their younger siblings. I'm surprised they have not arm wrestled for who gets to hold their baby brother first. Just the other day he spit up all over Morgan. It was so bad she had to go change her clothes. As she goes running down the hallway gagging she yells, "It's still my turn to hold him!"

No comments:

Vote For Me

topmommyblogs.org