Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Dose of Radiation

There is nothing like a late night trip to the Urgent Care to give any normal person insomnia.  Add that kind of late night excitement to the life of a nut case like me and I may never get to sleep again.

My long night began as it usually does.  The three girls had been sent off to bed and I had just finished my workout.  I was finally settling on the couch to watch a movie cuddled up with Maxx.  Suddenly this horrifying scream pierces through the air.  I burst into their bedroom to find Nadia already clutching a towel to her face.  (worst case scenarios stampede through my head)  After quickly gathering my nerves I look under the towel in horror to find my sweet faced little girl growing the biggest bump I have ever seen right between her eyes and an ugly 1/2 inch gash right in the middle of it.  I gathered her up in my arms and quickly got an icepack for her to hold on her face as I put out the phone calls for help.

Grandpa was asleep when I called but he came over in such a hurry he didn't even put on socks.  He thankfully brought Grandma as well to help watch the other kids. Daddy was all ready to go go with me until I reminded him about his early schedule and the fact he should have been asleep hours ago.

After getting lost due to not remembering that the Rancho urgent care was on Rancho of all streets.  (still trying to shake the haze left from the adrenaline rush.)  Once inside it only took 10 minutes before we were pulled back into triage. Maybe it was the 4 yr old trying her best to look her most pitiful or the mommy pacing frantically, but we got back very quickly.

They took her vitals and we were sent straight to the suture room where we waited for the doctor.  Nadia was so well behaved during the whole process. The only time she really squirmed was when the doctor was poking at her wound.  When she was all cleaned up and the extra hole in head was glued shut she had to get a cat scan do to the immense amount of swelling. (liquid stitches thank you whoever invented you!)

The woman Nikki who did our cat scan was very excellent.  She explained to Nadia that we were going to take a picture of inside her head and she needed to stay very still.  Thankfully it was one of the new light speed cat scan machines by GE.  It moves around the patient a lot more than just the table moving you into it.  Nadia called it the donut camera and at one point smiled and said cheese when I told her to stay still so it could get a picture.  The cat scan went well it only took 5 minutes because she did so well "playing statue".  I stood by her side the entire time.  Now I'm good on my booster dose of radiation. It had almost wore off from the last time I needed x-rays.

Then back to the exam room for us.  The nurses were in love with Nadia. I heard them all talking about the cute little girl with the slippers and big bump with the little cut. As soon as Nadia saw them she waved and told them all Merry Christmas which they all started giggling and waving to her.  (She had charmed 6 stickers out of random nurses before we left.)

Next began the long wait with only my 4 yr old for company.  Let me tell you, kid's say the darnedest things.  Nadia was trying anything to talk her way off the table.  "I really want to hug you mommy."  ::get up and hug her::  " No I want to hug you over there by the door." At one point she almost fell off, so I had to tell her to sit still or she could fall and get even more hurt.  She nodded very seriously and told me she didn't want to fall and get hurt because she didn't want to grow a mustache like Grandpa and Daddy.  "Wait what?! A moustache? "   Nadia replies,"Yeah, Grandpa must fall down a lot because he has a BIG moustache." She repeatedly kept asking to go home so I had to tell her we were waiting for her cat scan. Immediately she starts looking around the room frantically.  I ask her if she dropped her toy.  "Nope, looking for that cat that needs a scan."

Our results finally came back and she has no fractures or any other problems.  I just have one resilient bruised little pumpkin.  Now my night has just begun.  I have to wake her every 4 hours to check for behaviour changes, like grogginess or listlessness.  This should be fun ::sarcasm::  Who isn't groggy and listless at 4 am?  I know I will be.

This whole ordeal left me very thankful for so much.
I am Thankful for:
My husband for working so hard at job he doesn't enjoy to provide us with excellent health care.
Nadia for being such a big girl throughout the whole process and keeping her good humor.
My parents for being able and willing for me to lean on in an emergency.
My daughter not being hurt more severely than she was.

I could go on for hours about the many things I am grateful for, but my adrenaline is wearing off and I am crashing fast.  I'm gonna go cuddle on the couch with my little sweetheart and whisper another prayer thanking a higher power for my many blessings.

Here is the pictures of the damage done but it is once most the swelling had gone down and we were back from the doctors.

It doesn't do the swollen lump between her eyes justice though.
Her pictures on Christmas morning are going to be colorful thats for sure.

2 comments:

Star @ A Load Of Craft said...

Wow that's so scary, I'm glad everything was okay! I'm curious to know how she got hurt...

Thanks for entering the linky :)

Cooking Rebel said...

It was after bedtime and her older sisters thought it would be a good idea to swing her around by an arm and a leg in the little open space of their bedroom. It was all fun and games until they spun her face first into a bed post. They instantly regret it and now say to each other "would you do that if mom were watching?"

Vote For Me

topmommyblogs.org