Monday, April 23, 2012

Potty Talk: Monkey See, Monkey Do

Recently, Maxx has shown interest in potty training.  Now that we have tile floors throughout it's a less overwhelming mess to clean when there are accidents.

Imagine my surprise when Maxx came to em and asked to go and willingly went to the potty himself.  Maxx is only two and with all the warnings of the difficulty of potty training boys echoing in my head.  I was stunned to watch my toddler clamber up onto the big potty like a little spider monkey.  He quickly did his business and jumped off again to check his progress.  He was down and cheering himself before I could recover my shock.

It all started with a curiosity for everything going on in the bathroom.  No that is not an escape hatch.. I just like to use the restroom without an audience..  No I don't need applause.. Thank you, I've been a big girl a long time.  After finally giving in to his unending onslaught he wanted to just sit in the bathroom with you as you went. Adding "Eww Gross" for every noise he hears.

Daddy brought Maxx his own Lightning McQueen potty chair.  When the handle flushes is revs.  For a few weeks we knew when he had escaped to the bathroom when you could hear that revving.    Now that he had a seat of his own, he insisted to pull his pants down to sit on it to.  Barring the one time he tried to copy daddy and stand at the potty, there haven't been any messes.


Maxx had watched Daddy pee standing up.  Maxx proceeded to use his little potty to stand on. (it turns into a stool)  The only problem is he over trusted a fart... When a toddler yell "oh no Nasty!" from the bathroom it's never a good sign.

I am not pushing potty training, just as I didn't with my older kids.  Now that the weather has warmed up it will be a lot easier to work potty training with him, at least the days he is willing.  So far, no need for bribery, begging or blackmail.. but I may have just jinxed myself.

** Take your child with you to the restroom.  Let them see what you do while there.  It takes away the fear and anxiety of the potty. When they see mommy or daddy go potty they want to be just like them and are more likely to want to try.  The desire to try is HUGE.. cheer every attempt even if nothing happens other than a tush on the seat.**

No comments:

Vote For Me

topmommyblogs.org