Tuesday, November 27, 2012

30 Days of Thankful (Day27)

My 30 Days of Thankful

Day 27

I am thankful for my parents.  They gave me a great example of how to make a marriage succeed throughout many years.  Growing up I was surrounded by friends trying to survive their parents' divorces.  I was the odd man out, my parents were still married to each other and it was their first marriage.  At times admitting that I was looked upon like a freak of nature.

That was why in my wedding vows I wanted the words. "What God has joined together, let no man put asunder."  We vowed before I wedding day that it would be forever.  That no matter what the issue we would work through it. On my wedding day both my husband and I forgot to tell the minister.  When the moment came and the minister said those words we both believed that the other had remembered to tell him.  

I learned from my parents that having a successful marriage didn't mean that you would never fight.  It meant that there were times you would fight but you had to fight fair.  Don't say things in anger that will injure your loved ones soul.  Hurtful words from someone you love injure far deeper than from an enemy.  I was once told by my Monster In Law that in a real true relationship there would never be fights. ::eyeroll::   If you never fight than neither of you care enough about the outcome to want to fight for it. Apathy is not welcome in a  healthy marriage.  (good thing I wiser than to take marriage advice from a two time bitter divorcee)

You must learn to communicate your needs and wants. Unless you are lucky enough to marry a mind reader.

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!! 41 years together!

No comments:

Vote For Me

topmommyblogs.org