Thursday, August 12, 2010

Superstitious Me

Paraskevidekatriaphobics — people afflicted with a morbid, irrational fear of Friday the 13th.


Many superstitions origins go back thousands of years.

Even in today's modern world of Friday the 13th I can't stop the internal cringing as I go about my day. I can't help myself from being superstitious. I believe my own personal affliction is exponentially increased worse from living in Las Vegas for most of my life. Just think that if you lived in a land where people consantly dabble in games of luck and chance every second of the day, it would be hard not to get drawn in to superstitions. The bad , the good and even the plain weird ones.
Most people are superstitious without thinking about it.

::Sneezes:: "God, Bless you"


How often do you tell someone "Bless you" when they sneeze? It is said to date back to the Middle ages in Great Britain during the plague. One of the first signs of the onset of this disease was sneezing. The superstitious Brits believed that saying "God, Bless you" gave the recipient an extra blessing before their impending death, but it also was also believed to force their soul back into their body, since they believed it tried to escape with every sneeze. In the Old Testament, it says that God "breathed life" into Adam through his nostrils. It is an old Jewish belief that the soul leaves the same way through the nostrils.

The covering of a sneeze wasn't brought about until later... And not for cleanliness. It became superstition that the devil would try to enter your body right after a sneeze. Covering your nose and mouth would not only keep you soul in place, but prevent the devil from entering as well.

Spilled Salt


What happens when you spill salt? Before I can think about it I am taking a pinch of it with my right hand and tossing it quickly over my left shoulder. I catch myself wondering why did I just do that? It was once believed by Christians that the devil hangs over your left shoulder, waiting for his chance to assault. By tossing the salt into his face you prevent the attack.

In ancient times salt was an expensive commodity that had many uses. Those lacking in superstitions will say that it's costliness is what contributed to this superstitions origin. If you consider it bad luck to spill salt than even the most clumsy superstitious fool will not bobble the salt.

It is also said that in earlier copies of the Last Supper painting by Da Vinci, That he displayed Judas as having just spilled the salt vessel. In old traditions they believe it to be a sign of broken trust to spill the salt.

::Knock on Wood::


How many times have you made some comment about good or bad fortune and found yourself knocking on wood? I know I do. This belief is said to come from the ancient druids in what is now Great Britain. They worshipped trees and believed that spirits resided in them. When they made a comment referring to good or bad luck they would knock on wood. It was said to awaken or perk up the spirits to work in their favor. By either keeping a good thing going or prevent a bad one from happening.

Bad Omens


The Egyptians believed ladders were the gathering place of the dead, because they were left in tombs for the deceased to climb out and into the afterlife. It is said that in Ancient Egypt there was a pharaoh that wanted to change his kingdom to a sun-god worshiping kingdom. He had temples in honor of the sun-god built without roofs, so they could feel the sun as they worshiped. People who used an umbrella to protect against the hot Egyptian sun were considered blasphemous. They were said to be denying the blessing from the sun-god by using the umbrella.

Lucky Charms


What about your personal talismans? Little charms to bring good luck or ward off evil. Every culture has them.

A horseshoe is said to bring good luck when hung over the doorway of a home. Which way to hang it depends on the area you are in. In most of Europe the horseshoe talisman should point down to rain down luck. In some parts of Great Britain and Ireland the horseshoe must point up or the "luck will pour out".

The four-leaf clover is said to bring good luck to those who find it, especially if found by accident. According to legend each leaf is a personification: the first is hope, the second is faith, the third is love, the fourth is luck. I have found a few of these through out my life. The last one I gave my husband and he has carried it with him in his wallet for years.

Just from these few things, how superstitious are you? There are so many more I could go on for hours. Just know that, you wont catch me near a ladder or playing with an umbrella today. I'll be the one on my couch holding my four-leaf clover and with fingers crossed. Ok, so maybe not that dramatic... but you wont find me taking any unnecessary risks today.

No comments:

Vote For Me

topmommyblogs.org