Saturday, January 15, 2011

My Signing Baby

With my older two children I didn't know about the use of sign language with babies.  I didn't realize there are great benefits to be gained.  My husband and I just played the guessing game when they asked for things and handled the tantrums as best we could.

When I had my third daughter we were watching PBS when the show Signing Time came on and even at 7 months Nadia was very interested.  We watched it for a few weeks and after a while I noticed her signing play.  After doing some research online I made the decision to teach her some more signs.  I stuck with need based signs. (drink, eat, sleepy, want, thirsty, hungry)  As she grew older and began speaking more and more she still used some of those signs in addition to speaking.  I noticed a huge difference in the amount and severity of her tantrums in comparison with her older sisters.  She was a much happier baby.  Why wouldn't she be?  Her caregivers could understand her needs which cut out her frustrations with the communication barrier.  To this day she still occasionally uses signs without knowing it.  (her most often used is More even though she asks for it verbally as well)  We recently started signing the alphabet and are teaching her early learning words.



Once I became pregnant for a fourth time I was determined to teach my child more signs.  After Maxx was born I was more in survival mode than the teacher mode, so it took me a few months before I remembered my desire to teach him.  Within the first week he signed More.  At 10 months old he now knows and uses these signs consistently; More, Up, Want, Thirsty, Milk, Ball, and Eat.  It is surprising how fast he has picked these up.

My older children are getting involved in this as well.  They enjoy signing things to Maxx and seeing the spark of recognition.  They are also learning alphabet and learning to spell words.  When they learn to sign their spelling words they have performed better on their tests rather than when they only do the writing exercises.

My favorite website to use is My Smart Hands. They have a great video dictionary for baby signs and many links to other helpful resources for traditional American Sign Language.

3 comments:

Mama Hen said...

I wish I had done signing with my daughter, because she ended up having endless ear infections. As you know, it can be difficult to learn to talk when you can't hear. I think it is a super idea! I am happy to get to know your blog! Have a great day!

Mama Hen

Carol said...

My 2nd daughter benefited a lot from signing too. She can talk but still signs for "More" and often "Thank You" She has still had her share of tantrums, but I think she learned to verbally communicate a lot faster than her sister did.

Cooking Rebel said...

Oh they still have tantrums, i don't think toddlers without any tantrums actually exist. Baby signing cuts back on the tantrums born from frustration due to being unable to communicate with you.
I love seeing my son sign when he wants something rather than just cry out. Just last night he was sitting quietly with his older sisters as they read him a book. He saw me peek my head in to check on him and instantly said "Mama!" then signed Up to me.

Vote For Me

topmommyblogs.org