Thursday, January 6, 2011

Super Powers of a Mommy

Every kid fantasizes about having super powers.  As a child if offered any super power of my choice I would have picked the ability to fly.  Yes, even though I hate flying in airplanes and am terrified of heights.  I still wanted to soar with the birds.

Now that I am a mommy many times over my choice would be drastically different.  I wouldn't hesitate to choose the ability to absorb any injury or illness from my children into myself.  Even if using this power would leave me with their affliction and would only work on my own children.  A bit of a selfish choice, I know, but if you had experienced what I went through last night you would understand.

Maxx wasn't feeling well and was letting me know his displeasure very thoroughly.  He spent all day hooked to me.  I was not allowed more than 6 inches from him all day or night, but still didn't nurse as often as normally. I put him in the Moby Wrap skin during the day and that helped him get some sleep.  After he woke from a nap in the Moby Wrap he would be back to nursing normally again.  Once bedtime came it was another nightmare, he tossed and turned, waking up hourly and fussing at the breast.  His fever would spike every time he fell asleep which would then make him too hot to stay comfortably asleep.  After hours of crying (both him and me) we ended up in a bath together at 4 am.  After getting out it gave us 3 blissful hours of uninterrupted sleep before the alarm blasted us awake just in time to get his oldest sisters off to school.

To make matters worse Maxx isn't the only one that is ill in the family.  Nadia is sick as well but luckily she responded well to mucinex. (no fever only a cough and nasal congestion)  Thank goodness they are feeling much better today.  Just in time for the oldest, Lauryn, to come home with complaints of a sore throat, runny nose and coughing.  That's what I get for bragging about spending the entire previous year with the everyone in house being illness free.  Either we have one wacky cold hitting everyone differently or three different outbreak monkeys loose in my house.  Time to get out my UV-C light sanitizing wand and go nuts with it.


If you were given the choice of any super power you would think of what would you choose?  Is it different than what you would have picked as a child?

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Awwww! Poor little guy!

Vote For Me

topmommyblogs.org